Macerich is sharply focused on sustainability as a long-term, fully integrated business approach. Our goal is simple: Create a healthy environment for our employees, tenants, guests and communities and sustain this environment for future generations.
Today we are committed to doing even more — to reduce our greenhouse gas emissions, energy use, water consumption, and waste generation by 10 percent by 2020. For more information click here.
- March, 2017 The Oaks is the country's first BREEAM USA In-Use certified building Click here for details
- In 2014, the center installed 6,131 solar panels that produces 1,594kw of power. That is enough energy saved to power 222 homes for one year!
- Our Security Staff uses Global Electric Motorcars and Segways often in lieu of vehicles powered by gas, thereby reducing the use (gas) of one mobile vehicle by approximately 20 percent.
- Many of our retailers now offer shoppers the option of reusable bags.
- We use green cleaning products at our center wherever and whenever possible.
- The center has implemented new lighting protocols that allow us to minimize our energy use and lower our carbon footprint without any impact on the shopping experience.
- Our center has a recently upgraded HVAC system that minimizes our energy usage and lowers our carbon footprint.
- Recycling bins are located throughout the property for both guests and retailers to separate paper, plastic and glass from trash.
- More than 800 tons of cardboard is recycled each year from cardboard boxes and other shipping materials.
- Printer toners and ink cartridges are recycled and sent to Hero Appreciation Network (HAN), which receives a $2 donation for each cartridge received.
- Furniture and fixtures are refinished or redeployed to charities and other organizations whenever possible.
- Outdated promotional materials are recycled with our local printer and reused whenever possible.
- The center’s Management Office now uses filtered water in favor of bottled water.
- Thermostats in the mall offices have been regulated to save energy while still providing a comfortable environment.
E-Waste Recycling Event
FREE Electric Waste Recycling Event! E-Waste is any consumerelectronic equipment that has reached i...
Join Us at the Thousand Oaks Farmers' Market every Thursday! 1:30pm - 6pm East Parking Lot Starting...
Leaders in corporate sustainability
At Macerich, while most of our business is focused on reaching new heights, in sustainability we are dedicated to reaching new lows. In fact, "Innovating to Zero" is our ambitious longer-term goal to generate zero energy waste and near zero emissions, zero water waste and zero landfill impact.
GRESB Green Star
2014 - 2017
20th among top 30 on-site generation
EPA Green Power Partnership
CDP Climate A List
2015 - 2017
#1 Ranking 2015 - 2017 GRESB Benchmark
N. American Retail Sector
NARIET Leader in the Light
2014 - 2017
First U.S. In-use Certified Building