Macerich is sharply focused on sustainability as a long-term, fully integrated business approach. Our goal is simple: Create a healthy environment for our employees, tenants, guests and communities and sustain this environment for future generations.
Today we are committed to doing even more — to reduce our greenhouse gas emissions, energy use, water consumption, and waste generation. For more information click here.
We're Doing Our Part
The Oaks is conserving water to support our community. As a responsible member of the community and in accordance with California's Water Conservation Emergency Regulation, The Oaks is currently practicing the following water conservation efforts:
- Halting grass watering
- Turning off water features
- Cutting back on landscaping watering
- Installed low-flow restroom fixtures
What We’re Doing at The Oaks
- March, 2017: The Oaks is the country's first BREEAM USA In-Use certified building.
- In 2014, the center installed 6,131 solar panels that produces 1,594kw of power. That is enough energy saved to power 222 homes for one year!
- Our Security Staff uses an electric cart and Segways often in lieu of vehicles powered by gas, thereby reducing the use (gas) of one mobile vehicle by approximately 20 percent.
- Many of our retailers now offer shoppers the option of reusable bags.
- We use green cleaning products at our center wherever and whenever possible.
- The center has implemented new lighting protocols that allow us to minimize our energy use and lower our carbon footprint without any impact on the shopping experience.
- Our center has a recently upgraded HVAC system that minimizes our energy usage and lowers our carbon footprint.
- Recycling bins are located throughout the property for both guests and retailers to separate paper, plastic and glass from trash.
- More than 800 tons of cardboard is recycled each year from cardboard boxes and other shipping materials.
- Printer toners and ink cartridges are recycled and sent to Hero Appreciation Network (HAN), which receives a $2 donation for each cartridge received.
- Furniture and fixtures are refinished or redeployed to charities and other organizations whenever possible.
- Outdated promotional materials are recycled with our local printer and reused whenever possible.
- The center’s Management Office now uses filtered water in favor of bottled water.
- Thermostats in the mall offices have been regulated to save energy while still providing a comfortable environment.
E-Waste Recycling Event
Electronic Waste Recycling Event! E-Waste is any consumer electronic equipment that has reached its...
Join Us at the Thousand Oaks Farmers' Market every Thursday from 12:00-5:00pm in the East Parking Lo...