Macerich is sharply focused on sustainability as a long-term, fully integrated business approach. Our goal is simple: Create a healthy environment for our employees, tenants, guests and communities and sustain this environment for future generations.
Today we are committed to doing even more — to reduce our greenhouse gas emissions, energy use, water consumption, and waste generation by 10 percent by 2020. For more information click here.
What We’re Doing at The Oaks
- March, 2017 The Oaks is the country's first BREEAM USA In-Use certified building.
- In 2014, the center installed 6,131 solar panels that produces 1,594kw of power. That is enough energy saved to power 222 homes for one year!
- Our Security Staff uses Global Electric Motorcars and Segways often in lieu of vehicles powered by gas, thereby reducing the use (gas) of one mobile vehicle by approximately 20 percent.
- Many of our retailers now offer shoppers the option of reusable bags.
- We use green cleaning products at our center wherever and whenever possible.
- The center has implemented new lighting protocols that allow us to minimize our energy use and lower our carbon footprint without any impact on the shopping experience.
- Our center has a recently upgraded HVAC system that minimizes our energy usage and lowers our carbon footprint.
- Recycling bins are located throughout the property for both guests and retailers to separate paper, plastic and glass from trash.
- More than 800 tons of cardboard is recycled each year from cardboard boxes and other shipping materials.
- Printer toners and ink cartridges are recycled and sent to Hero Appreciation Network (HAN), which receives a $2 donation for each cartridge received.
- Furniture and fixtures are refinished or redeployed to charities and other organizations whenever possible.
- Outdated promotional materials are recycled with our local printer and reused whenever possible.
- The center’s Management Office now uses filtered water in favor of bottled water.
- Thermostats in the mall offices have been regulated to save energy while still providing a comfortable environment.
Holiday Farmers Market - December Dates
Join Us at the Thousand Oaks Farmers' Market every Thursday from 12:00-5:00pm in the East Parking Lo...
Looking for something fun for your little ones to do? The Oaks Kids Club is a wonderful opportunity ...